A Place to Serve
“Engage our community and world through a lived faith that responds to the needs of our environment and living things with compassion, the potentials of restorative justice, peace, and hope.” – Seventh Street’s “We Statement”
Outreach Ministries Weekly Updates:
- Outreach has been in contact with Week of Compassion and will be asking for donations for the victims of Harvey in the near future.
- George Washington Carver Elementary School Supply & Wish List
The collection of “Wish List” items ends today. Thanks to all who so generously donated items. The supplies will be delivered to Carver in the next few days, at the convenience of the school
- Liberation Veteran Services - LVS (Formerly Liberation Family Services – LFS)
Lunch will be prepared and served today, following our church worship service. Items donated form the ongoing “Residential Moving Wish List” and donated DVDs and novels will also be delivered at this time.
- The Meals on Wheels Ministry Teams
MOW Teams delivered meals on Monday, August 27 and dropped off your donations to Feedmore. MOW Teams make deliveries the 4th and 5th Monday of every month. Special thanks to Carole Chaffin, Pat Mays, Olivette Cox, and Nancy Garver for your steadfast service to this ministry. Thanks also to Janet Morris for your continued support of this ministry.
- Outreach, led by Sarah Anderson, is collecting gently used & new clothing and shoes for Ugandan orphans (ages 2-17, both sexes). A bin will be placed in the hallway for this ongoing collection. They also need toys and schools supplies. Please contact Sarah (882-6452) with any questions.
Watch for Upcoming Events
- Crop Walk Information – Seventh Street will participate in the 47th Annual Richmond Crop Hunger Walk to be held on Sunday, October 29, at 2 p.m. The walk will start at St. John’s United Church of Christ. Outreach will send a representative to the Rally Day on September 9 to gather information.
- Gray Haven Wish List will be posted from September 10-October 8 (note the change in the end date). They can always use diapers (sizes 2-5). Please place the packages of diapers in the basket in the Classroom #1/Youth Room.
Thank you to all who continue to support our Outreach Ministries with your time and monetary and product donations. Contact Liz Hulette to join Outreach (794-9219).
The Outreach Ministries of Seventh Street
To display the love of Christ by connecting with people from all walks of life through love, respect, acceptance, discipleship, and service to local, national, and world communities.
Community service opportunities include:
- Liberation Family Services - lunch preparation and visitation with Veterans.
- Gray Haven Project - supply and financial donations
- Meals on Wheels- deliveries take place 4th & 5th Monday of each month. Meet at Feed More.
- Donations for Deployed Church members
- ACTS - supply and financial donations
- CARITAS - set-up at Grace Baptist Church
- Fisher House - financial donations
- Mary Munford Elementary School Giving Tree - November & December
- Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond - financial donations
- Bright Beginnings through the YMCA - back to school shopping for low-income children.
Regional Ministry opportunities include:
- National Council of Churches
- Chaplaincy Service of Virginia (now GraceInside)
- Virginia Council of Churches
- Lynchburg College
- Lexington Theological Seminary
- National Disaster Recovery
World Ministry opportunities include:
- Africa Exchange
- World Council of Churches
- Global Missions
Anyone interested in volunteering in any of our Outreach Ministries, please contact Liz Huellete
YMCA Bright Beginnings - August ministry
This is a community outreach program that provides thousands of local, disadvantaged children with fall school clothes and supplies that they need to start off the new school year with confidence and pride. Each child is allocated $100 from the program for the purpose of purchasing two complete outfits, plus underwear, socks, shoes, and a sweater or jacket. Volunteers are paired with the children for dinner and shopping at a participating Target.
More opportunities to serve our community in 2017
(Mark your calendars)
January - Fisher House Soup Sale for LFS
February - Week of Compassion
March-April - Lenten Season - Pancake Supper, Stone Soup for Palm Sunday, CARITAS
June - Wish List for organizations we support
August - Bright Beginnings
November - Thanksgiving Food Basket
December - Giving Tree