A Place to Serve
“Engage our community and world through a lived faith that responds to the needs of our environment and living things with compassion, the potentials of restorative justice, peace, and hope.” – Seventh Street’s “We Statement”
- Carver Elementary School Thanksgiving Food Drive
We are collecting non-perishable Thanksgiving food for Carver School on November 5-19. A designated basked is placed in the Narthex for these items.
- Christmas Giving Tree
The Giving Tree is up and adorned with tags for families in need at Mary Munford & George Washington Carver Elementary Schools. These families are struggling to make ends meet, but do not qualify for outside help. Please take one or more tags, return the unwrapped gifts with the Giving Tree tag attached, and place them under the tree. Gifts must be returned to the church no later than December 10th. Please contact Liz Hulette with any questions.
- Liberation Veteran Service
We prepare and serve lunch to the Veterans today after the worship service. At that time the Residential Moving Items, DVDs, and novels are delivered.
- Kimote Foundation
Thank you to Sarah Anderson for her continuing leadership & devotion to this ministry! Sarah already has our first box ready to ship to the Ugandan orphans, and is in the process of gathering "shipping" funds. A donation box for funds is on the Welcome Table in the Narthex.***
> ***The collection of gently used clothes, shoes, & small toys is ongoing (ages 2-17, both sexes).
- Meals on Wheels Ministries Teams
MOW Teams make deliveries the 4th and 5th Monday of every month. Designated baskets are in the hallway for toiletries for Meals on Wheels and non-perishable foods for FeedMore. Thank you to Carole Chaffin, Pat Mays, Olivette Cox, and Nancy Garver, our regular team members, and to Janet Morris and Tush Metcalf for filling in.
- Change for Change (Seventh Street Youth Mission Project)
- CROP Hunger Walk
Thank you to our "7th Street Walkers", Judy Lindsey, Sarah Anderson & Hollie Woodruff. A HUGE thank you to Judy Lindsey for her creative & enthusiastic leadership for the 47th Annual Crop Walk! A SPECIAL CONGRATULATIONS to our Sarah Anderson on this successful walk! This was a true milestone for her and she has served as an inspiration to all of us! Our Team has raised total of $940.00 to date & Sarah was the big trophy winner!!!!! Thank all who supported this ministry! Just WOW!
- Thank you to all who continue to support our Outreach Ministries with your time and monetary and product donations. Contact Liz Hulette to join Outreach (794-9219).
The Outreach Ministries of Seventh Street
To display the love of Christ by connecting with people from all walks of life through love, respect, acceptance, discipleship, and service to local, national, and world communities.
Community service opportunities include:
- Liberation Family Services - lunch preparation and visitation with Veterans.
- Gray Haven Project - supply and financial donations
- Meals on Wheels- deliveries take place 4th & 5th Monday of each month. Meet at Feed More.
- Donations for Deployed Church members
- ACTS - supply and financial donations
- CARITAS - set-up at Grace Baptist Church
- Fisher House - financial donations
- Mary Munford Elementary School Giving Tree - November & December
- Interfaith Council of Greater Richmond - financial donations
- Bright Beginnings through the YMCA - back to school shopping for low-income children.
Regional Ministry opportunities include:
- National Council of Churches
- Chaplaincy Service of Virginia (now GraceInside)
- Virginia Council of Churches
- Lynchburg College
- Lexington Theological Seminary
- National Disaster Recovery
World Ministry opportunities include:
- Africa Exchange
- World Council of Churches
- Global Missions
Anyone interested in volunteering in any of our Outreach Ministries, please contact Liz Huellete
YMCA Bright Beginnings - August ministry
This is a community outreach program that provides thousands of local, disadvantaged children with fall school clothes and supplies that they need to start off the new school year with confidence and pride. Each child is allocated $100 from the program for the purpose of purchasing two complete outfits, plus underwear, socks, shoes, and a sweater or jacket. Volunteers are paired with the children for dinner and shopping at a participating Target.
More opportunities to serve our community in 2017
(Mark your calendars)
January - Fisher House Soup Sale for LFS
February - Week of Compassion
March-April - Lenten Season - Pancake Supper, Stone Soup for Palm Sunday, CARITAS
June - Wish List for organizations we support
August - Bright Beginnings
November - Thanksgiving Food Basket
December - Giving Tree